25 October, 2008

Yes, My Friends, The World Has Come to This!

So I popped by Mahalo this morning, like I always do, to see what was in the news, and the story that caught my eye was this one: Maple Story Murder

Maple Story, if you're not sure, is a Korean virtual gaming world similar to the Sims and WoW. Possibly even a bit of a cross between the two. So this woman gets mad at her virtual husband for not telling her he wants a divorce. She logs into his account with information he entrusted to her and deletes his user information. Now she's facing up to five years in prison.

In a similar story two Dutch teenagers bullied another boy into giving over his magical items.

It's as if the supposed anonymity of the internet has given people an impression that they can just do whatever they please without any consequence. Well, guess what? The internet police are watching, and they aren't going to put up with internet crime!

1 comment:

Jacquéline Roth said...

At least the woman only virtually murdered the guy. A virtual husband? Isn't that like having all the negative stuff about being married without the good stuff? Why in the heck would you want that?

By the way, the word verification I just drew for this post is going on my villian list. I have got to write a story with the Vultrons as the bad guys...or maybe the good guys?