24 January, 2009

Back in Action

The last couple months have not been the best time. I've had more problems with asthma and allergies than I care to dwell on, and just after I finished on the treadmill Monday night, I felt the ache of the flu settling into my bones. By the time I crawled into bed, I had a fever of 99.6 and Tuesday morning kicked me out of bed with a massive heaviness in my lungs that could only be pneumonia. Unable to get into the doctor until Wednesday afternoon, I burned in bed for two days.

The doctor was pretty sure that it was this nasty flu that's been going around, which with asthma and allergies on top, would just feel like living hell. He was right. I'm still standing by as my lungs recover that heavy dread, the ache in my back still shifting and sharp from time to time.

The good news is, fevered dreams are great fodder for science and horror fiction. I had some fantastically frightening dreams while my fever spiked into the 102-103 range. Crazy cylon storm trooper hybrid dreams, and liquid devils lurking inside sink drains. At one point I actually dreamed that I was living inside a skull. It was crazy.

Last night was the first night I actually felt human enough to start writing. Between then and this evening, I managed to finish another chapter in my current project. It felt good.

I will catch up with everyone's blogs and tags this weekend. I missed you all.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Two words: Flu Shot.

I had a flu that turned into pneumonia in 1993--and since then I've been faithfully getting the flu shot.

Jacquéline Roth said...

I'm sorry you're sick. flue can turn into pneumonia fast. Happened to me too. In the dr. office with flu on Tues, hospital with pneumonia and a 104 fever by Thurs.

Glad you got some writing done. Was it on Goblin Market? I really loved that story.

Jenny Melzer said...

Susan, you're probably going to think I'm crazy, but I don't believe in flu shots. I know that sounds nuts, but I've got an aversion to medicine. I don't like to take too much medication and would rather build up antibodies and heal naturally if at all possible. I am actually taking allergy/asthma combined medication now, something I avoided for years, but I will tell you this. I'd stop if I knew there was another way to treat it.

Jae, I did get some work on Goblin Market done, but I'm actually working on a sequel to that Battlestar Galactica fanfic I wrote two years ago. The muse called, so I answered. As long as I'm writing right now, I'm not going to complain. It's been great having something that inspired me lately.